March 28 – Sonia Bien-Aime has been appointed to head a Women’s Football Leadership Group in the CONCACAF region, aimed at promoting the game to women and stimulating growth of the women’s game.
Bien-Aime, is president of the Turks & Caicos Islands Football Association, a member of the CONCACAF Executive Committee, and one of three women on FIFA’s Executive Committee.
She will chair a group made up of female leaders in the region that, according to a CONCACAF statement, has “the aim of supporting the Confederation’s efforts to further develop the women’s game in addition to raising awareness about the opportunities that football offers women beyond the pitch.”
“On the heels of the recent FIFA reforms to promote gender equality and empowerment of women worldwide, CONCACAF is already putting the wheels in motion by utilizing the knowledge, skills and expertise of this group of very talented women, all of whom are recent graduates of the FIFA Female Leadership Development Programme (FLDP), to assist the Confederation with growing the women’s game in the region. It’s no doubt a much needed and long awaited step,” said Bien-Aime.
CONCACAF Acting General Secretary Ted Howard said: “The growth potential within the CONCACAF region represents an extraordinary opportunity for the Women’s Football Leadership Group to exchange best practices and analyze strategic actions to help promote the sport’s development.
“We look forward to working closely with this task force, in order to create a strong foundation while increasing opportunities for women on and off the field.”
The Women’s Football Leadership Group members are:
- Monique André, Executive Committee Member and President of Women’s Commission, Fédération Haïtienne de Football (Haiti)
- Elieth Artavia, Women’s Football Development Director, Federacion Costarricense de Fútbol (Costa Rica)
- Chantel Bird, Women’s Committee Chairperson, U.S.V.I Soccer Federation (US Virgin Islands)
- Lyndell Hoyte-Sanchez, National Women Teams Manager, Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (Trinidad and Tobago)
- Ana Rabell, Executive Committee Member and President of Women’s Football Commission, Federación Puertorriqueña de Fútbol (Puerto Rico)
- Shequita Parson, Chairperson for Security and Executive Committee Member, Bermuda Football Association (Bermuda)
- Gwendolyn Salmon, Vice President, Antigua and Barbuda Football Association (Antigua and Barbuda)
- Mildred Wever, Women’s Football Coordinator, Arubaanse Voetbal Bond (Aruba)
- Malaika Church (Grenada)
Contact the writer of this story at email@example.com