October 19 – Nasser Al-Khelaïfi (pictured) the under-fire Qatari boss of beIN Sport Media who is at the centre of corruption allegations over World Cup TV rights, has agreed to meet next week with Swiss prosecutors who brought the case.
Criminal proceedings against Al-Khelaifi, who is also CEO of Paris St Germain, former FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke, and an unnamed businessman working in sports rights were announced by the office of Switzerland’s attorney general last week.
Al-Khelaifi is alleged to have offered “undue advantages” to Valcke – FIFA’s secretary general for eight years until his firing in January 2016 – for the award of broadcasting rights in certain countries for the 2026 and 2030 World Cup.
Speaking Wednesday night on Canal Plus following PSG’s 4-0 win away to Anderlecht in the Champions League, Al-Khelaifi, who denies any wrongdoing, confirmed his trip to Switzerland to discuss the allegations.
“I have an appointment on the 25th. I will go there to speak with them, the Swiss (authorities),” he said. “That’s all.”
FIFA number two Fatma Samoura said earlier this week she hopes the criminal investigation launched by Swiss prosecutors will not “disrupt” Qatar’s hosting of the 2022 World Cup.
Contact the writer of this story at email@example.com