74 days to go to the AFC Asian Cup, UAE 2019

Man Utd earn €44.5m for Europa League win, more than twice nearest rival

October 20 – Manchester United pocketed €44.5 million of the more than €423.1 million in payments from UEFA for winning the 2016/17 Europa League. 56 clubs shared in the payments that were increased from the €411.1 million distributed in 2015/16.

Man Utd’s payout was more than double the next highest earner, Germany’s FC Schalke 04, who received €17.7 million. Premier League Southampton, who failed to progress beyond the group stages, were the fourth highest beneficiary with €15.2 million.

Ajax, who were beaten by Man Utd in the final, had the third highest payout, receiving 16.2 million.

UEFA distributes 60% of club competition revenue for the Europa League in fixed amounts, while the remaining 40% is distributed in variable amounts calculated on the basis of the commercial value of each national market.

Clubs received €2.6 million for participating in the group stage; €360,000 for each win in the group stage and €120,000 for each draw, with any undistributed money (i.e. €120,000 per draw) being redistributed across all clubs contesting the group stage in proportion to the number of victories achieved by each side.

Each group-winner received €600,000, and the runners-up €300,000. Every club taking part in the round of 32 earned €500,000, while clubs participating in the round of 16 each received €750,000. The eight quarter-finalists received €1 million each, and the four semi-finalists €1.6m each. Winners Manchester United earned €6.5m, and runners-up Ajax received €3.5m.

Monies from the market pool were divided according to the value of the TV market in each country, among other factors.

For a club by club distribution of revenue go to http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/51/12/27/2511227_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1540200451labto1540200451ofdlr1540200451owedi1540200451sni@n1540200451osloh1540200451cin.l1540200451uap1540200451