November 9 – Just days before the start of the tournament, Kenya has condemned a Confederation of African Football (CAF) decision to reinstate Equatorial Guinea into the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations and is going to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Last month Kenya was awarded a place in the finals, which Ghana is staging, when CAF excluded Equatorial Guinea for fielding an ineligible player in qualifying. But the governing body’s appeal board ruled differently, allowing the two-times champions to return to the competition.
In the original ruling CAF upheld a protest from Kenya which has responded furiously to the change of heart saying they are “profoundly astonished” by the move, which represents “a great injustice” .
As it stands Equatorial Guinea will open their campaign against Zambia on November 18 before facing South Africa and defending champions Nigeria. But Kenya says it still hopes to compete.
“It is our belief that both CAF and CAS will treat the matter with the seriousness that it deserves even as Harambee Starlets remain in camp in preparation for the tournament,” their statement said.
“We wrote to CAF to express our disapproval of the November 7 decision and initiated an appeal to the CAS to be included in the tournament and / or at the same time a suspension of the organising process”
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org