March 6 – Chelsea have appealed against being slapped with a two-window transfer ban by FIFA and fined CHF600,000 after being found guilty last month of illegally signing no fewer than 29 under-age foreign players.
The club, owned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, now faces an anxious wait to find out if they will be able to sign players this summer.
Any decision on whether or not the ban is delayed while the appeal is considered will be up to the chairman of FIFA’s Appeal Committee, Thomas Bodstrom of Sweden.
Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid were all allowed to sign players while their respective appeals against similar bans were heard but FIFA insists every case is taken on its merits.
“There is no exact timetable for the hearings and decisions taken by the FIFA Appeal Committee, and any decision on the sanction remaining in place during the appeal process is to be taken by the chairman of the FIFA Appeal Committee,” said a FIFA spokesman.
Chelsea have previously said they “categorically refute the findings of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee” which imposed the sanction for breaching rules to protect teenage players under 18.
Chelsea are reportedly prepared to take their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) if necessary and expect to be able to trade normally before any punishment is applied.
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org