Infantino says expanded 2023 WWC will likely see prize money beat £60m earmarked

August 6 – FIFA president Gianni Infantino has said the world governing body will look to exceed its promise to double the prize money for the 2023 Women’s World Cup to $60 million. However, he issued the caveat that the tournament needed to be marketed.

Last month, Infantino announced the increased prize pot for the 2023 tournament following pre-France 2019 criticism of the disparity between the men’s and women’s competitions. Last week FIFA expanded the next Women’s World Cup (host still to be decided) from 24 to 32 teams, rendering Infantino’s initial prize money promise a little less significant.

“We have until 2023 to discuss about the prize money,” said Infantino. “I think we need to market it as well in a certain way. I’m very confident, I’m sure we can go higher than doubling.” The implication is that the prize money will increase if the commercial revenues similarly reflect an increase.

His remark came as the world champions the United States defeated Ireland 3-0 at the Rose Bowl in California. Later this month the United States play Portugal in a friendly. The US Women’s National Team is in an ongoing legal battle with US Soccer over equal pay.  Earlier this summer the Americans romped to victory at the Women’s World Cup in France, which galvanized the interest in the game around the world.

The success of the tournament prompted FIFA to expand the 2023 iteration, but with $440 million in prize money for the men’s equivalent in 2022 and more finalists, FIFA is under pressure to deliver a substantial prize pot that addresses the gender pay gap and reflects the increased profile of the women’s game as well as the expanded field.

Contact the writer of this story, Samindra Kunti, at moc.l1566692957labto1566692957ofdlr1566692957owedi1566692957sni@o1566692957fni1566692957