August 20 – The Belgian FA (KBVB) has denied that it will bid for the 2023 Women’s World Cup after FIFA announced that the Belgians had expressed an interest in staging the 32-team tournament.
FIFA reopened the bidding process for the next Women’s World Cup after the world federation and its president Gianni Infantino fast tracked the expansion of the tournament to 32 teams. On Monday FIFA announced that Belgium had become the 10th member association expressing an interest in hosting the tournament.
Previously, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa and a North and South Korea had joined the race, but the Belgians were quick to dismiss that they’d enter the contest. FIFA requires member associations to confirm their participation by September 2.
“What is correct is that we asked for information on the terms of reference, the criteria for application and the needs for such an organisation, but for information purposes only and certainly not for the 2023 edition,” said KBVB spokesman Stefan Van Loock said. “If we were to apply, it would be for a later edition, but it is much too early.”
FIFA stated that all 10 member associations have received the overview of the bidding process, including updated high-level hosting requirements. After the September deadline the bidding process will pick up the pace with FIFA sending out the bidding and hosting documents.
Bidding nations will have to submit a bid book by December 13. Early next year FIFA will dispatch inspection team to assess the various bids before the world federation is expected to take a decision in May 2020.
Contact the writer of this story, Samindra Kunti, at moc.l1573518944labto1573518944ofdlr1573518944owedi1573518944sni@o1573518944fni1573518944