Son has red card rescinded for Gomes tackle

November 6 – Justice has been done with Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min’s much-publicised red card for his tackle that led to Andre Gomes’ horrific broken ankle in Sunday’s Premier League encounter against Everton overturned by the authorities.

Son had to be consoled by teammates when he saw the severity of Portuguese midfielder’s injury, having initially been yellow-carded for  his challenge by referee Martin Atkinson.

It was later confirmed the Spurs forward had been shown a straight red, which enabled the club to appeal the decision.

An Independent Regulatory Commission assessed the case on Tuesday and agreed it was wrongful dismissal.

TV replays suggested that Gomes suffered his sickening injury after and not as a result of Son’s far-from-brutal  tackle and before he collided with Tottenham full-back Serge Aurier. Yet the referee switched the initial yellow to red as a consequence of the foul only once it became clear how badly Gomes was hurt.

“Heung-min Son will be available for Tottenham Hotspur FC’s next three domestic fixtures after an independent Regulatory Commission upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal,” the FA said in a statement, somewhat of an embarrassment for the Premier League which said at the time the red card had been shown to Son for “endangering the safety of a player”.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1573822549labto1573822549ofdlr1573822549owedi1573822549sni@w1573822549ahsra1573822549w.wer1573822549dna1573822549