December 3 – The United Kingdom and Ireland may be inching closer towards a joint-bid for the 2030 World Cup after a positive feasibility study.
The five countries (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland) have been pondering a bid for a 2030 tournament and Noel Mooney, general manager of the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) has suggested that preparations may be stepped up.
“The feasibility study is positive and there’s a sense the right thing to do is go forward. This bid is out on the front foot and very well led by the English FA, who gave a very strong presentation. It’s a chance to get a really credible bid and hopefully win it. I’d be very surprised if there’s not a very credible bid from Great Britain and Ireland,” he said.
Last year UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin backed a joint bid from the home nations, saying it was “about time” the tournament returned to England for the first time since 1966. Ceferin is keen on returning the tournament to Europe.
“I think it would be a very wise idea,” said Ceferin last year. “The infrastructure in the UK is very good and in a way if more countries bid there is more chance to win. I think after all these years it’s time for that part of Europe to get the World Cup. I don’t doubt the quality of the bid.”
England bid for the 2006 World Cup and again for the 2018 but both times lost. The
Qatar will stage the next World Cup and in 2026 the United States, Mexico and Canada will co-host the first 48-team World Cup. Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Paraguay have announced a four-way bid to celebrate the inaugural World Cup in 1930, staged by Uruguay. China are also expected to bid for 2030 and if they did would be strong favourites to win.
Contact the writer of this story, Samindra Kunti, at moc.l1576284283labto1576284283ofdlr1576284283owedi1576284283sni@o1576284283fni1576284283