March 12 – The effects of Covid-19 have gone all the way up to the administration of world football with FIFA taking the unprecedented step of calling off its 211-nation congress that had been due to take place Addis Ababa on June 5.
FIFA has also pushed back its forthcoming Council meeting in Zurich, scheduled for March 20, until June or July with attendees possibly required to join via a video link.
FIFA said in a statement that its 70th Congress, where delegations from all its member national associations were due to meet, will now take place at the same venue on September 18.
“Numerous international bodies and public health authorities have advised against the organisation of international events,” FIFA said. “Concerns over the health and well-being of participants, as well as travel restrictions in many countries, have resulted in the cancellation or postponement of many such events in various parts of the world.”
Meanwhile FIFPro, the world players’ union, has urged competition organisers across the world “to respect the wishes of players to take short-term precautionary measures including suspending training or competitions.”
Contact the writer of this story at email@example.com