June 26 – The Brazilian FA (CBF) and local clubs are projecting an early August start and February finish for the national championship. The coronavirus pandemic prevented the top flight league from kicking off in May.
In an official statement the CBF said: “The Brazilian Serie A championship may return on Sunday, August 9th. Series B is scheduled to restart on August 8th. The decision was taken on Thursday night, in a meeting convened by the CBF together with the National Clubs Commission with the participation of 40 clubs competing in the top two leagues. The basic dates and the return schedule were proposed by the president of the CBF, Rogério Caboclo, and supported by the clubs.”
Although three months behind the regular start date in May, the FA and clubs want to maintain a full calendar with 38 rounds of play. The Brazilian cup, the Copa do Brasil, is scheduled for a start in the second week of August.
Brazil has largely failed to contain the coronavirus and is set to pass the grim mark of 55,000 deaths on Friday. With nearly 40,000 confirmed coronavirus cases on Thursday, the trend in the South American country remains very worrying.
The league will return behind closed doors and clubs have discussed the possibility of ceding home advantage in case municipalities and cities veto staging matches. Clubs from nine different states feature in the top flight and the health situation greatly differs from state to state in the vast country.
The football authorities and clubs have acknowledged the unprecedented situation and said the resumption is dependent on the health situation.
“The return of football depends on authorization from health authorities,” read the CBF statement. “But nineteen of the twenty Serie A clubs were willing to play outside their cities, ultimately, if their municipalities are not yet cleared by health authorities to play games. It was a sign of support for the competition for CBF. “
In March, Brazilian football was suspended as the coronavirus began to spread. Last week, the Carioca championship returned with Flamengo – Bangu and Portuguesa – Boa Vista before Rio de Janeiro’s mayor shut down the competition again, which is set to resume again this weekend. In Sao Paulo, clubs won’t be allowed to return to training until the end of June.
Contact the writer of this story, Samindra Kunti, at moc.l1593919816labto1593919816ofdlr1593919816owedi1593919816sni@o1593919816fni1593919816