December 30 – FIFA has cancelled its 2021 U-17 and U-20 men’s World Cups due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The U17 World Cup was originally slated to take place in Peru and the U-20 World Cup in Indonesia, but with both tournaments cancelled FIFA also has handed the two countries the hosting of the 2023 editions.
FIFA said that it had consulted with stakeholders and confederations over the spread of the pandemic and in particular the challenges it presents in hosting international events and particularly for international travel
“It became clear that the global situation has failed to normalize to a sufficient level to address the challenges associated with hosting both tournaments, including the feasibility of the relevant qualification pathways,” said FIFA in a press statement.
FIFA had already cancelled its U-17 and U-20 women’s World Cups that were originally rescheduled for 2021 in India and Costa Rica but were then cancelled with the nations being awarded the hosting rights for the age group competitions in 2022.
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org