July 27 – Barcelona have finally reached an out-of-court agreement with their former player Neymar to end a long-running legal dispute in “amicable fashion”.
The case relates to what Neymar claimed were unpaid bonuses due as part of a contract he signed in October 2016, before his €222m world record transfer to Paris Saint-Germain in 2017.
Neymar sued the Catalan club for €46.3 million, and they counter-sued for breach of contract.
The legal wrangling dragged on for many years with a judge in Barcelona siding with the club and ordering the Brazilian in June last year to pay them €6.7 million.
Spanish media said Neymar had appealed and also launched a new case against Barca. That case is now void.
Barcelona said in a statement that three labour claims and a civil suit had been “ended out of court in amicable fashion”.
“FC Barcelona announce that it has ended out of court in amicable fashion the various labour and civil litigation cases that were open with the Brazilian player Neymar,” read the statement.
“As such, a transactional agreement between the club and the player has been signed to end the legal cases that were pending between the two parties.”
Back in 2014, then Barca president Sandro Rosell resigned over claims about the real cost of Neymar’s transfer.
Meanwhile, DIS Esporte also filed a lawsuit claiming they had not been paid what they were due from the deal despite owning 40% of Neymar’s economic rights when he was at Santos.
Contact the writer of this story at email@example.com