November 25 – With Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal becoming the sixth team qualified for the Club World Cup UAE 2021 and Conmebol’s representative to be decided by the Copa Libertadores final this weekend, FIFA have announced the draw will take place in Zurich on Monday, 29 November 2021.
The 2021 edition of the CWC has been pushed back into 2022 following the withdrawal from hosting by Japan and fixture congestion caused by the covid pandemic.
The UAE stepped in to host the seven team Club World Cup with FIFA saying the exact dates in early 2022 will be confirmed before the draw. The UAE have hosted the Club World Cup four times previously – in 2009, 2010, 2016 and 2017. Qatar hosted the 2018 and 2019 editions – the 2019 edition having been held earlier this year.
The participants in the draw will be:
- Al Hilal SFC (KSA), winners of the 2021 AFC Champions League
- Al Ahly SC (EGY), winners of the CAF Champions League 2020-21
- CF Monterrey (MEX), winners of the 2021 Concacaf Champions League
- Winners of the 2021 CONMEBOL Libertadoresfinal between CR Flamengo (BRA) and SE Palmeiras (BRA)
- Auckland City FC (NZL), nominated by the OFC Executive Committee due to the cancellation of the OFC Champions League 2021
- Chelsea FC (ENG), winners of the UEFA Champions League 2020-21
- Al Jazira Club (UAE), winners of the UAE Pro League 2020-21
The draw show will be streamed live on FIFA.com.
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org