September 13 – German 2014 World Cup winner Jerome Boateng has been fined for assaulting a former girlfriend, while Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy will go on trial on for rape and sexual assault on January 24 next year.
Boateng was fined €1.8 million by a court in Munich after being found guilty of assaulting his former partner three years ago.
Boateng, who left Bayern Munich last week and signed for Lyon, attacked his former partner Sherin Senler on a Caribbean holiday after the World Cup in 2018.
Boateng and Senler were said to be arguing over a proposed move to PSG at the time that didn’t materialise. Senler testified that an argument broke out over a game of cards and Boateng bit her, pulled her to the floor via her hair and punched her in the back causing her to lose her breath.
Boateng and Senler are currently in a custody battle over their twin daughters who currently live with the footballer.
Mendy remains in custody in the UK ahead of his trial where he is accused of the rape of two women and the sexual assault of a third alleged victim. One of the three complainants is under the age of 18.
The Man City star was refused bail last month. A further hearing will be heard in November where Mendy’s lawyers have said an application will be made to dismiss the charges.
Mendy, who had been suspended by his club pending the investigation, is alleged to have committed the rapes at his home in Prestbury, Cheshire.
Manchester City spent a reported £49.2 million signing the left-back player from Monaco in 2017. He featured in City’s 1-0 defeat against Tottenham Hotspur on the opening weekend of the season.
Contact the writer of this story at email@example.com