Laporta says Barca player spending on hold as Champions League failure bites into finances

Barcelona logo

November 16 – Barcelona president Joan Laporta says the financially stricken giants may not be able to sign players in the January transfer window due to La Liga’s financial fair play rules.

To offset massive debts and comply with the rules, the club sold 25% of their domestic television rights earlier this year as well as a 49% stake in Barca Studios for more than €700 million.

That allowed them to spend more than €150 million in the close season on the likes of Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha and Jules Kounde.

But without any more ways of generating revenue and with no more Champions League revenue, having been knocked out in the group stage, spending will have to be reined in.

Laporte said Barca’s accounts are “healthy” again with an expected income this season of €1.23 billion and a budgeted profit of €274 million. But there are unlikely to be any incoming players in January.

“We had to make some levers, which were economic operations that saved the club from ruin, and now the club is in economic recovery,” Laporta told Spanish news agency EFE.

“But despite that, according to the rules of financial fair play of the Spanish league, we can not sign.

“Us and some other LaLiga clubs are also trying to convince LaLiga to be more flexible, and allow us other types of interpretations that can make Barcelona even stronger,” he said.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1670103991labto1670103991ofdlr1670103991owedi1670103991sni@w1670103991ahsra1670103991w.wer1670103991dna1670103991