No more Scotland, no more party. Hungary send the Tartan Army home

June 23 – In a final group game that took a nasty head injury to seemingly spark it into life with 25 minutes to play, Hungary shattered the impressive and vocal Tartan Army’s dreams with a goal in the 10th minute of added time to win 1-0.

It was a match that struggled to find life and looked set to be overshadowed by a head injury to Hungarian striker Barnabas Vargas who was felled in a clash with Scotland goalkeeper Angus Gunn.

There was a 10-minute delay as medical staff worked on Vargas behind a curtain before he was stretchered off, still behind the curtain. Vargas looked to have been knocked out before he hit the ground and was taken to hospital. Initial reports following the final whistle were that he was in a stable condition and conscious.

The injury marked a change in tempo and intensity in a game that had failed to spark despite its importance to both teams.

Hungary and Scotland have played each other nine times but this is the first time in a competitive match.

A win for Scotland would give them four points and a chance of progression to the last 16. A win for Hungary would give them three – they lost to Switzerland and Germany in their first two games – and in the mix for one of the four best third-placed slots.

Scotland opened the stronger with Hungary sitting deep, content to look for counter attacks.

John McGinn was at the centre of Scotland’s challenge

Angus Gunn in Scotland’s goal was in action early, saving low to his right. It was to be the only shot the half.

John McGinn was at his combative was at the centre of the Scottish effort and picking up free kicks for his trouble. Billy Gilmour and Andy Robertson, twice, wasted the advantage with poor delivery.

Willi Orban was a physical presence in Hungary’s defence while Dominik Szoboszlai was a real threat on the ball.

The Scots dominated possession, at one point wth over 80% but dropping to about 64% by half time.

But in truth this was to be a half to forget.

Meanwhile in Frankfurt the Swiss had taken a 1-0 lead over Germany, putting them top of the group on seven points, one ahead of Germany.

In Stuttgart the match was bogged down in something of a war of attrition, or of not enough ambition. Scotland the Brave is a patriotic tub-thumping anthem. Scotland needed to be braver with their possession.

Stuart Armstrong is brought down by Willi Orban  in the penalty area 

The last act of the half belonged to Hungary. Hungary’s Callum Styles (with that name did he put on the wrong kit by mistake?) broke down the right and fed Szoboszlai who fired over from outside the box.

Hungary opened the second half pressing higher up the pitch before Scotland reasserted control of the ball.

On 52 minutes Scotland at last had a shot at goal. Che Adams found himself in space on the top left of the box but hit his shot over the top.

Five minutes later McGinn broke down the right, beating his man but there was no-one in the box for him to hit with a cross.

Scotland were back dominating possession but the game was opening up.

In the 65th minute the ball was delivered into the box, Gunn came out to punch the ball away and in a horrible clash of bodies Varga ended on his back, not moving.

On the restart the game suddenly burst into life. Scotland thought they had a penalty when Stuart Armstrong, on as a sub, was brought down by Willi Orban in the Hungarian box and heading towards goal. It looked a clear foul but neither the referee or VAR were moved.

It proved to be a huge decision for Hungary.

Both coaches further worked their benches as the game suddenly found an urgency and intensity that had been lacking up to this point.

Into 10 minutes of added time and the play was end-to-end. Szoboszlai saw his shot rebound out from a Gunn save.

Zsolt Nagy forced a superb save from Gunn to his left.

Then Kevin Csoboth (pictured top right), through on the Scotland goal hit his shot across Gunn and hit the post.

Back up the pitch Scott McTominay met a cross sliding towards the Hungary goal but his shot flew over the bar.

Grant Hanley forced a save from Peter Gulacsi.

With a minute of added time to go, disaster struck for Scotland. A corner was turned away by Hungary and a foot race began towards the Scottish goal. Szoboszlai found Attlia Sallai on the right who pulled the ball back to Csoboth who fired past Gunn.

Game over. No more Scotland, no more party.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1721414712labto1721414712ofdlr1721414712owedi1721414712sni@n1721414712osloh1721414712cin.l1721414712uap1721414712