Kenyan prosecutors drop case against FA boss Mwendwa

November 26 – In response to threats of a ban by FIFA, Kenyan authorities have dropped their legal case against the president of Football Kenya Federation (FKF), Nick Mwendwa (pictured).

Last week FIFA directed the government to immediately reinstate Mwendwa who was arrested following the federation being annulled – in direct breach of FIFA rules – and held behind bars for a week.

Mwendwa was picked up by police at a Nairobi hotel the day after the government set up a 15-member caretaker committee to run the federation and investigate alleged financial irregularities during his tenure. The committee said it would run football affairs in the country for six months.

A report earlier this year commissioned by Kenya’s Sports Ministry recommended that authorities should look into the FKF to establish “the extent to which the misappropriation of funds in FKF may have occurred, with a view of prosecuting those who may be found culpable”.

But Mwenda has now been released on Kshs4 million (approximately $36,000) bail as further investigations are carried out.

“Football Kenya Federation wishes to inform FKF members and the general public that the court has today, 25 November 2021, closed the case against Nick Mwendwa following the failure by the state to prefer charges against him,” the FKF said in a statement.

“The FKF president is grateful for the due process and will continue to work towards ensuring that football in Kenya returns to normalcy.”

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1653009544labto1653009544ofdlr1653009544owedi1653009544sni@w1653009544ahsra1653009544w.wer1653009544dna1653009544