Police drop attempted rape charges against Man Utd’s Mason Greenwood

February 3 – Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood has had all criminal charges against him dropped, police and prosecutors said on Thursday, and will no longer face charges of attempted rape and assault.

In a statement the Crown Prosecution Service said charges which also included controlling and coercive behaviour were discontinued.

Greenwood was formally charged in October following an investigation that began in January 2022. He was suspended by United and not permitted to train with the team. He had been due to stand trial on November 27, 2023.

“In this case, a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case,” the CPS said, adding it has a “duty to keep cases under continuous review.”

“I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support. There will be no further comment at this time,” Greenwood said in a statement.

United said after the court decision that it “will now conduct its own process before determining next steps.” Greenwood is not expected to return to training until that process is concluded.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1718594752labto1718594752ofdlr1718594752owedi1718594752sni@w1718594752ahsra1718594752w.wer1718594752dna1718594752