February 22 – Brazil’s former Barcelona star Dani Alves has had a request to be released from jail on bail rejected by a Spanish court as the investigation into an alleged sexual assault continues.
Alves (pictured) has been described as a flight risk due to his wealth, meaning he will stay behind bars – stopping him from returning to his homeland.
Alves was arrested last month after he was accused of sexual assault in a nightclub on December 30 and was jailed without bail after an initial investigation.
He has denied any wrongdoing.
In a statement, his defence team said: “Daniel Alves remains as innocent as he was before this ruling.
“His desire to leave Spain and elude the process did not, and does not, exist.”
His lawyers added Alves was willing to turn over his passport and wear a tracking device if freed, as well as report to the authorities as and when needed, and not go within 500 metres of the accuser’s home or workplace.
However, the court argued those measures were not enough to stop Alves from trying to escape, adding there is considerable evidence a crime may have been committed, and his wealth could make it easier for him to flee.
“Nothing would stop Mr Alves from leaving Spain by air, sea or even land without documentation and reaching his country of origin, where he could stay knowing that he would not be delivered to Spain despite international arrest warrants or extradition orders,” the court said.
Alves has won 42 titles, including three Champions League wins with Barcelona and two Copa Americas with Brazil. His current club, Mexico’s Pumas UNAM, terminated his contract in January.
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org