Poland fire Santos after six games as Euro 2024 qualifying hits the rocks

September 14 – Fernando Santos has been sacked as Poland manager after six games and less than nine months in charge.

Santos led his native Portugal to the European Championship title in 2016 but left after eight years following the World Cup in Qatar.

But he did not even last beyond his first qualifying group stage with Poland.

The Poles have lost three of their five games so far and are likely to land in the Euro 2024 qualifying playoffs in March.

In their latest defeat Poland lost 2-0 in Albania and are currently fourth in qualifying Group E with six points from five games.

After the defeat in Tirana on Sunday, Santos said he was not considering resigning but has now had the decision taken out of his hands.

“The selection of a new manager is now a priority for the board of the Polish Football Association (PZPN), so we will soon announce when the presentation of the new coach will take place,” PZPN President Cezary Kulesza said in a statement.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1709037395labto1709037395ofdlr1709037395owedi1709037395sni@w1709037395ahsra1709037395w.wer1709037395dna1709037395