Fenerbahce fans vote to remain in Turkish Super Lig, despite Trabzonspor chaos

April 3 – Fenerbahce members have voted against a proposal to withdraw from the Turkish Super Lig.

Last month, the 19-time title winners said they would consider pulling out after their players were attacked by Trabzonspor fans in an incident that even prompted the intervention of FIFA president Gianni Infantino

Fenerbahce won the game 3-2 after which Trabzonspor fans stormed the pitch, attacking security forces and players.

Tensions started to rise when former Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi scored an 87th-minute winner. Nigeria winger Bright Osayi-Samuel knocked one pitch invader to the ground while Batshuayi aimed a kick at another.

The Turkish Football Federation reported three of Fenerbahce’s players and two club officials to the country’s Professional Football Disciplinary Board for their involvement in the fights.

It called the events “unacceptable” and said in a statement that “the necessary criminal sanctions will be imposed on those responsible for these incidents”.

A day later, Turkey’s Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya said 12 fans had been arrested.

“In all our meetings, the least preferred option was to withdraw from the league,” Fenerbahce chairman Ali Koc told thousands of congress members gathered in their stadium in Istanbul.

“The reason why this option is not wanted is that people think we would have to deal in the lower league with the same things we deal with here.

“We are taking this option off the table until the general assembly at the end of the season.”

Fenerbahce are second in Super Lig after 30 games – two points behind leaders Galatasaray.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1712155044labto1712155044ofdlr1712155044owedi1712155044sni@n1712155044osloh1712155044cin.l1712155044uap1712155044