Saudis scupper bomb plot targeting World Cup Qualifier vs UAE

Saudi and UAE flags

October 31 – Saudi authorities say they foiled a terrorist bomb plot due to have been carried out earlier this month at a World Cup qualifying match.

The Saudi Interior Ministry said two “terrorist” cells were dismantled and eight people arrested. It said two Pakistanis, a Syrian and a Sudanese national were arrested over the car bombing plot by militants at the Saudi Arabia vs United Arab Emirates game in Jeddah on October 11.

A further four, all Saudi nationals, were detained after allegedly receiving instructions from an IS leader in Syria as part of a separate unrelated plot to kill security officers in the Shaqra district, north of the capital Riyadh.

Since late 2014, IS has claimed a series of bombings and shootings against Shias in the Sunni-majority kingdom, as well against security forces. In July, a suicide bomber killed four security officers and injured five others near one of Islam’s holiest sites, in the city of Medina.

IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has called for attacks against Saudi Arabia, which is part of the US-led coalition bombing his fighters in Syria and Iraq.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1511020555labto1511020555ofdlr1511020555owedi1511020555sni@w1511020555ahsra1511020555w.wer1511020555dna1511020555