March 28 – FIFA say they have received no official confirmation from Diego Maradona since he threatened last week to quit his ambassadorial role.
FIFA say their last official contact with the Argentine World Cup icon was when he took part in the draw for the Under 20 World Cup in South Korea on March 15.
“There have been no updates from him since then,” said a spokesperson.
Maradona told Argentine newspaper Clarin he was angry over the Argentina FA’s (AFA) decision to appoint television host Marcelo Tinelli as head of the national teams committee.
Maradona said he informed FIFA president Gianni Infantino that he would step down if the decision was not reversed within two days. “I called Infantino and I told him that I was resigning because I do not understand Tinelli’s appointment. He does not know anything about football,” he was quoted as saying.
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org