April 7 – Qatar has agreed to heavily slash its budget for hosting the 2022 World Cup and is pressing ahead with eight stadiums, according to organising chief Hassan Al Thawadi.
Al-Thawadi told CNN Money the original budget had been reduced by between 40% and 50%.
“We wanted to ensure there is financial responsibility in relation to the infrastructure relating to the World Cup,” said Al Thawadi, secretary general of the Qatar 2022 supreme committee for delivery and legacy.
“That’s why we had set an initial budget early on and made a commitment towards reducing it as the market became clearer, as the project became clearer, as we define the scope.”
Al-Thawadi now expects tournament infrastructure to cost between $8 billion and $10 billion and while Qatar’s successful bid allowed for up to 12 venues to be used he gave the biggest indication yet that no more than eight will be constructed given the size of the country – which would represent the fewest since the 1978 tournament. All but one would be new venues.
“FIFA has not yet agreed on the final number and we are in discussions with them to finalise the final number of stadiums that will fit the operating model of Qatar 2022,” said Al Thawadi.
“We are moving ahead with eight stadiums and in case discussions go on there might be an extra stadium to be developed.”
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org