April 20 – Spare a thought for Borussia Dortmund’s players, staff and supporters after their Champions League elimination in the most unfortunate of circumstances.Just a week after being mentally scarred by the bomb blast that led to their quarter final first leg being postponed 24 hours, the Germans were again in an “awkward mindset” after an incident ahead of the second leg Wednesday when they were beaten 3-1 by Monaco and eliminated on a 6-3 aggregate.
The squad was reportedly held up by 20 minutes outside team hotel by officers who apparently gave no reason. Kick-off was subsequently delayed by five minutes.
“Everyone went quiet and it felt not so good,” said Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel.
UEFA said the kick-off had been moved back because of “late team arrival” at Stade Louis II but Tuchel said the holdup seriously affected his team’s chances of turning the tie around after losing 3-2 in the first leg.
“Everyone was on the bus and the police were ready to accompany us, but then we were told we had to wait,” Tuchel said. “We stayed there for 16 or 17 minutes and when we tried to find out why they just said it was for security reasons. It was the worst thing that could happen a week after the attack – everyone was on the bus ready to go but we were not allowed to.
“I had the feeling we were focused and full of joy and happiness to play this game. Then suddenly there were awkward mindsets going around.”
“You come into such a game trying to have a clear mind to go out and turn the tie around, but with just an hour and a quarter to go before the match we were not able to think about football at all and it wasn’t ideal.”
Dortmund, runners-up in 2013, were ultimately outclassed by a vibrant young Monaco side but Tuchel is convinced the outcome would have been different without last week’s attack.
“In the first leg it was impossible for us to play the game and take it seriously in the way we needed to do.”
Contact the writer of this story at email@example.com