November 30 – Outspoken La Liga president Javier Tebas has hardened his resolve to take Paris St Germain to the European Union over alleged financial fair play breaches unless UEFA acts first.
“We have the lawsuit ready,” Tebas told Spanish media. “LaLiga will wait until the end of the year to see if UEFA decides to intervene.”
Although UEFA sanctioned both PSG and Manchester City three years ago and have pledged to again investigate the former’s recent huge transfer dealings, Tebas has long called into question the way both Middle East-backed spenders do business, saying they have an unfair competitive advantage “due to monies that are not created by the club itself.”
PSG is owned by Qatar Sports Investments and Tebas has made it clear that in his opinion, the spirit of FFP was being broken by the mindboggling deals being done by the French club, deals he describes as “financial doping”.
He believes sanctions so far imposed by UEFA for breaching FFP rules – heavy fines and a demand to reduce squad sizes – were insufficient.
“[UEFA] have to act as soon as possible because there are victims, the clubs that compete with PSG, and that has to be compensated.”
“Before Neymar went to PSG I already warned their president, Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, that we were going to denounce him on the issue of state aid for clubs.”
“PSG inject money that is not from their sector and it generates an inflation that is very harmful when it comes to signing players,” he said. “It distorts the market.”
UEFA boss Aleksander Ceferin has insisted UEFA will take action if they deem PSG have broken any rules but Tebas said: “If UEFA do not take a decision, LaLiga will take actions at the European level.”
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org