FIFA opens investigations after refusal to recognise Namibia’s removal of Mbidi

November 5 – FIFA has stepped into yet another internal African dispute by saying it doesn’t recognise last week’s decision to sack Namibia Football Association president, Frans Mbidi (pictured).

The move was taken by Namibia’s executive committee accusing its president of a “failure to adhere to his duties.”

These apparently included not convening executive committee (exco) meetings in due time; failing to implement exco decisions; misrepresenting exco resolutions to FIFA and CAF; being disloyal to the NFA; and rendering the NFA secretariat ungovernable.

Mbidi did not attend the exco meeting, where it was also decided that vice president Naftal Ngalangi should take over as acting president until elections are held on January 12.

FIFA says it is looking into the issue and that whilst it does so, it will not accept Mbidi’s dismissal.

“In the meantime, we do not recognise any of the alleged decisions,” a FIFA spokesman told the BBC. “We are awaiting official documentation in order to assess the situation.”

Mbidi, who took charge of the Namibia FA in 2014, has told local media he was not aware of his dismissal and therefore could not comment.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1558955874labto1558955874ofdlr1558955874owedi1558955874sni@w1558955874ahsra1558955874w.wer1558955874dna1558955874