May 18 – La Liga clubs were re-starting group training today as they prepare for a return to action in June after a long pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
La Liga president Javier Tebas, who has been a strong advocate of resuming the season, confirmed clubs in the top two divisions will begin training in groups of up to 10 players from today.
The move follows a government announcement on Saturday allowing sports teams to return to activity
“The confirmation of the return of group training will help to level up to standardise training,” Tebas told Spanish television station Movistar. “It’s very important that all teams are training at the same level and we are grateful that is now the case.”
All organised football in Spain has been indefinitely suspended since March 12, with Tebas previously warning that clubs would lose up to €1 billion if the season was not allowed to be completed.
Clubs began individual training earlier this month with a view to matches starting behind closed doors on June 12. Tebas said he was feeling even more optimistic about being able to complete the season after the Bundesliga became the first major European league to resume action this weekend.
“I’ve sent my congratulations to the Bundesliga because they have made a tremendous effort,” he said.
“We have worked very hard alongside them in these last few months, exchanging protocols and ideas and I’m very proud of the Bundesliga because it wasn’t easy but they were the first and they are an example to follow.”
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org