June 24 – The US women’s national team has lost yet another round in their battle for equal pay when a federal judge denied their request for an immediate appeal of the ruling last month to throw out their case.
The original lawsuit was filed by 28 women’s national team players last year seeking $66 million in damages and in its ruling in May the courts ruled that the women were paid “more on both a cumulative and an average per-game basis than the men’s team over the class period.”
Federal judge Gary Klausner appeared to have sided with the US Soccer Federation, which had previously said the women “specifically asked for and negotiated a completely different contract than the men’s national team.”
However, Klausner allowed the players’ case for unfair treatment in travel, housing and medical support to go to trial.
In his latest ruling Tuesday, Klausner said the appeal must wait until after their remaining claims proceed to trial, which is set for September 15.
The players’ spokeswoman Molly Levinson said her clients were determined to have their main claim dealt with after more four years of fighting their cause.
“One way or another, we intend to appeal the court’s decision which does not account for the central fact in this case that women players have been paid at lesser rates than men who do the same job,” she said in a statement.
“Tonight’s ruling simply means that an appeal may take longer to file and is a reminder that we must not give up our efforts both on and off the field to fight injustice.”
“Though we face significant challenges, we are strengthened by the reality that our effort is one part of the greater movement for equality happening in our country right now.”
Contact the writer of this story at email@example.com