December 1 – UEFA.com has opened voting for its teams of the year, for the first time giving fans the opportunity to pick a women’s team.
Bayern Munich dominated 2020, winning the treble, and it is no surprise they dominate the men’s nominations with ten players from the club on the shortlist of 50 players.
Germany have the most nominees with six and the Bundesliga, along with the Premier League, is the most represented league with 15 players featuring on the shortlist.
The women’s shortlist is dominated by Lyon, who won the Champions League in August after a 3-1 victory against Wolfsburg. France have the most national-team players nominated (10) and the French women’s league is the most represented league as well with 19 nominees.
Fans have to select their favourite XI from two shortlists of 50 of elite players – five goalkeepers, 15 defenders, 15 midfielders and 15 forwards.
- Total number of clubs: The nominees represented 21 clubs in total – including cases where players turned out for two clubs in 2020.
- Total number of nationalities: The 50 nominees represent 19 nationalities, with Germany (six nominees) edging out France (five nominees) as the most successful nation.
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) is nominated for a 17th straight year
- FC Bayern München left-back Alphonso Davies (who turned 20 in November) is the youngest nominee; having turned 36 in September, Brazilian centre-back Thiago Silva (transferred from Paris Saint-Germain to Chelsea in the summer) is the oldest nominee on the list.
- Five of FIFA’s six confederations have at least one player nominated.
- The 50 nominated players have an average age of 27, the same as the male shortlist.
- Lena Oberdorf (VfL Wolfsburg) who turns 19 in December, is the only teenage nominee. Hedvig Lidahl (VfL Wolfsburg/Atlético de Madrid), at 37, is the oldest, with Steph Houghton (Manchester City) at 32 the most senior outfield player on the list.
Fans will have until January 6 to cast their votes via UEFA’s official website.
Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1610879333labto1610879333ofdlr1610879333owedi1610879333sni@o1610879333fni1610879333