Covid concerns force UEFA to cancel U-17 men and women Euros set for May 2021

December 18 – The 2021 men’s and women’s U-17 European Championships have been cancelled by UEFA due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Both annual tournaments had been scheduled for May, with Cyprus hosting the men and the Faeroe Islands making its continental hosting debut for the women.

But UEFA have been forced to call them both off in the latest blow caused by the impact of Covid-19. Concerns were cited about having teenagers travel on commercial flights and preparing players for the tournaments.

“The current epidemiological situation in many parts of Europe (is) making it unrealistic to hold youth competitions in the first months of 2021,” UEFA said adding it had taken the decision “in line with previous decisions and based on a constant monitoring of the development of the Covid-19 pandemic and its impact on UEFA competitions.”

Conversely, UEFA  said the men’s U-19 Euros would go ahead in July in Romania, with the women’s event set to take place in July-August in Belarus.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1611025313labto1611025313ofdlr1611025313owedi1611025313sni@w1611025313ahsra1611025313w.wer1611025313dna1611025313