Loss of £60 million for relegated Bournemouth

By David Owen

March 29 – Relegated Bournemouth, now lying just outside the play-off places in the second-tier Championship, have become the latest English club to post a big loss for covid-hit 2019-20.

The Russian-owned south coast club reported a pre-tax loss for the year to end-June of £60.1 million, nearly double the prior year’s tally. This was on turnover which dropped back below the £100-million mark to £95.4 million from £131.1 million. The vast majority of this – £80.7 million – came from Premier League income. Staff costs dipped by £3 million to £107.9 million, meaning that they more than absorbed the club’s reduced turnover.

Notes to the accounts disclosed that the Cherries took on £15.6 million of bank loans during the year, all secured against future receivable transfer fee installments. The club also ended the year owing its British Virgin Islands-registered parent a non-interest-bearing loan “with a book and fair value” of £126.3 million. Approximately half of this latter loan was said to have been repayable in August 2020, with the remainder repayable either on demand or in January 2024.

After the balance-sheet date, in September, the club is said to have received a net £17.4 million “in relation to the forward funding of future transfer receivables”.

It has also generated total net proceeds from player sales of £62.3 million. The net book value of these players was put at £11.5 million, making for a profit of £50.8 million. According to Neill Blake, chief executive: “Clearly, if these sales had been made before 30 June 2020, this would have removed a large portion of the loss for the year, and in an ordinary year such sales would have been possible prior to the year end.”

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1618091033labto1618091033ofdlr1618091033owedi1618091033sni@n1618091033ewo.d1618091033ivad1618091033