Wembley boosted to 60,000 capacity for Euro 2020 three-match finale

June 23 – Crowd capacity at Wembley will be raised to more than 60,000 for the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020, the largest attendance at any sporting event in the country for 15 months.

Although the UK government has postponed lifting all Covid restrictions until July 19, the games at Wembley, along with certain other sporting events, are being allowed to accommodate additional spectators under the so-called Events Research Programme.

Wembley’s capacity has so far been reduced to 22,500 for group fixtures but that is set to be expanded to 45,000 – around 50% of full capacity – for two knockout games in the last 16 before the semi-finals on July 6 and 7 and final on July 11.

All ticket holders will need to follow a number of strict entry requirements, including having a negative Covid-19 test or proof of full vaccination – two doses received – 14 days before the fixture.

“We are thrilled that more fans will now be able to walk through the Wembley turnstiles and enjoy the finals of Euro 2020,” said UK Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden.

“As we continue to make progress on our road map out of lockdown, keeping the public safe remains our top priority.

“We have worked extremely closely with UEFA and the FA to ensure rigorous and tight public health measures are in place while allowing more fans to see the action live. The finals promise to be an unforgettable moment in our national recovery from the pandemic.”

UEFA had stressed on Tuesday there were no plans to take the semi-finals or final away from Wembley despite an apparent impasse over allowing quarantine-free travel for sponsors, VIPs and international media.

With a compromise agreement now likely, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin welcomed the news that Wembley will be increased to 75% of its capacity.

“It is great news that so many fans will be able to watch the final three matches of Euro 2020 at Wembley,” he said. “The last 18 months have taught us – both on and off the pitch – how integral fans are to the fabric of the game.

“This tournament has been a beacon of hope to reassure people that we are returning to a more normal way of life and this is a further step along that road.”

But some feel it’s far too dangerous to go that far.

Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi has called for the final to be moved from England because of rising Covid-19 cases and the plans also drew a cautious response from the World Health Organisation whose spokesman Robb Butler told Sky: “WHO is concerned about easing of restrictions in some of the host countries.”

“A few of the stadiums hosting the tournament are now increasing the number of spectators allowed in the stadium to watch a game. In a few of the host cities, Covid-19 cases are already on the rise in the area where matches will be held.”

“Learning from experience, we must act fast on signals showing increasing cases – expanding testing and sequencing; stepping up contact tracing; and building very high vaccine uptake fast among those vulnerable and most at risk.”

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1638846779labto1638846779ofdlr1638846779owedi1638846779sni@w1638846779ahsra1638846779w.wer1638846779dna1638846779