Brentford striker Toney faces ban after 232 alleged breaches of betting rules

November 17 – Brentford striker Ivan Toney is facing a ban after being charged by the FA with 232 alleged breaches of betting rules.

The charges relate to alleged betting rule breaches between 25 February 2017 and 23 January 2021.

During that time Toney played for four different clubs – Scunthorpe United, Wigan Athletic, Peterborough United and Brentford, who he signed for in September 2020.

Brentford gained promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs at the end of the 2020/21 season. None of the charges relate to Brentford’s time in the top tier.

Toney’s goals were crucial in Brentford’s promotional season and this term he has has scored 10 Premier League goals in 15 matches that earned him an England call-up but ultimately not enough for a place in the final England World Cup squad.

Toney had previously said via a statement that he was “assisting the FA with their enquiries”.

Brentford said in a statement: “The club has been in discussion with Ivan and his legal representatives. Those conversations will continue privately.”

“We will make no further comment until the matter has been completed.”

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1669757822labto1669757822ofdlr1669757822owedi1669757822sni@n1669757822osloh1669757822cin.l1669757822uap1669757822