Newcastle confirm investigation on-going into Tonali’s illegal betting

October 19 – Newcastle United have confirmed that their Italian midfielder Sandro Tonali is under investigation in relation to illegal betting.

Tonali (pictured) joined Newcastle from AC Milan in July for a reported fee of €70 million, a record sum for an Italian player.  Last week he was turfed out of the Italian training camp after being notified by police of a criminal investigation into alleged gambling offences.

“Newcastle United can confirm Sandro Tonali is subject to investigation by the Italian Prosecutor’s Office and Italian Football Federation (FIGC) in relation to illegal betting activity,” the club said in a statement.

“Sandro is fully engaging with the investigation and will continue to cooperate with all relevant authorities.”

On Tuesday, Tonali’s agent admitted the player had a gambling problem and said he faces the biggest challenge of his career. Newcastle face Crystal Palace at home on Saturday.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1719278645labto1719278645ofdlr1719278645owedi1719278645sni@w1719278645ahsra1719278645w.wer1719278645dna1719278645